Thursday, November 02, 2006

The countdown: 6 months for Morocco and Polisario

On October 31st, the U.N Security Council voted unanimously for a 6 month extension of the MINURSO. The 1720 resolution urges both military parties, Morocco and Polisario, to engage in decisive discussions during the next 6 months. Also, the U.S delegate asked Morocco to present its announced Autonomy plan and to engage in discussions with all sahrawis, including Front Polisario.
An interesting point here is the call for the inclusion of all Sahrawi voices, including the Polisario Front. In fact, all Sahrawis whether they are living in Morocco, Algeria or elsewhere have the right to FREELY express themselves and say what they want. I mentioned before that I know sahrawis who want to live under the sovereignty of Morocco, and I know others who want to have their own independent country. You will find such radically opposite views in whole branches of the Sahrawi tribes, adding to the complexity of the situation.
I hope both parties will open their minds and rise to the level of people expectations by engaging in serious multi-party negotiations.
Picture courtesy of www.un.org

5 Comments:

At 10:57 PM, Blogger Will said...

Woo you have a blog now. I'll read the posts later tonight.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Will said...

Well, I guess you've had one for a while. But for some reason, I haven't been able to find it till now.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Will said...

Link exchange! And yeah, that's my last comment.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger To My People said...

I am glad that the UN is giving oppournity to the Saharawi people to speak about the Situation... Speaking in behalf of the Saharawi in the camps if you talk to any one of them the will tell you all they want is going back to the land ( western sahara) that mean free autonomy and puere nationality which call Saharawi not Morrocan.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger To My People said...

Sorry I meant their land and pure

 

Post a Comment

<< Home